Simon Janashia State Museum of Georgia

Shota Rustaveli Avenue No.3
The Simon Janashia State Museum of Georgia is one of the largest repositories of material culture and nature in the Caucasus. Originally, it was founded as the Museum of the Caucasus and later, in 1919, renamed The Museum of Georgia. It was only in 1947 that the Museum was renamed after academician Simon Janashia.
The State Museum complex consists of buildings which are stylistically and chronological different from each other. It occupies almost the whole block between Rustaveli Avenue, A. Furtseladze, N. Vachnadze and L. Gudiashvili streets.
The main exsposition building is located on Rustaveli Avenue. Architect N. Neprintsev started construction of it in 1910 and in 1929, Architect Nikoloz Severov completed it. The facade of the monumental building is decorated with typical Georgian architectural decor.
The museum preserves monuments of Georgian, Caucasian and Middle East nature, life and culture from ancient times to the present day. It has a diverse and rich collection uniting petro-graphical, paleontological and flora and fauna exhibits; rich archeological and ethnographic materials; a numismatic collection of Georgian and foreign coins from the 6th century to modern times; old Georgian epigraphy monuments; Aramaic, Greek, Jewish; Armenian and Arabian inscriptions discovered in Georgia; and one of a unique collection of Erratum inscriptions. The monuments of material culture reflect a wide chronology of periods – from Stone Age up to the 18th century. One can also find exhibits reflecting Georgian history of the 19th century and the period of Soviet occupation.
The paleontological exhibit from the Dmanisi archeological excavations if of special note, particularly the remains of Homo Ergaster-humanoid individuals. The museum has a rich collection of more than 600 pieces of Georgian jewelry from the 3rd millennium B.C. to the 6th century A.D.-an archeological treasure brought together from various parts of Georgia (kakheti, Trialeti, Vani, Akhalgori, and Mtskheta, amonogst others).
One can enjoy exhibitions of gold and silver jewelry, bronze and iron monuments and samples of small plastics. The museum also owns rich ethnographic materials, arms and clothing collections from Georgian and Caucasian nations, plus an interesting photo archive.
The Simon Janashia State Museum of Georgian was united under the umbrella of the National Museum of Georgian in 2004. Rehabilitation and renovation works, completed in 2011, have brought museum repositories and exhibition areas up to modern standards.
The museum receives visitors six days a week, excluding Mondays, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.