Tbilisi Puppet Museum

No. 17a Shavteli Street

The Tbilisi Puppet Museum was founded in 1937 on the initiative of Tinatin Tumanishvili, children’s writer and teacher. It was she who donated the first collection to the museum: puppets and toys, patrimonial items and a library. Today, the museum bears her name and its fund preserves more than 200 exhibits, including antique European and American puppets and toys, Georgian artistic and folk dolls, and mechanical and musical toys.

The museum has permanent exhibitions as well as temporary ones. A small puppet theatre and children’s art studio also operate within the puppet museum.

The museum is open every day, excluding Mondays, from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The museum is located in one of the oldest neighbourhoods of Tbilisi- Zemo Kala, on the corner between Baratashvili and Shavteli Streets, close to the old citadel of the city and one of the oldest orthodox Christian churches – Anchiskhati.

The is a bronze statue of dancing figures standing in front of the museum – Berikaoba and a marionette theatre located just down the lane.