The Synagogue

45/47 kote abkhazi St.

The synagogue was built at the end of the 19th century. The Georgian Synagogue is famous as Big Synagogue. It was established by the Jews from Akhaltsikhe, who settled in Tbilisi at the end of the 19th century, so its second name is “Synagogue of Jew from Akhaltsikhe”. The Synagogue was made from bricks, in eclectic style, between 1895 and 1913 and then decorated with the cupola and lantern. According to Jewish tradition, the building is directed to Jerusalem (to the south) along its longitudinal axis (from the entrance, in direction to Aron Akosheda). The main gates of the synagogue are decorated with David’s Star.