Mosque

32 botanikuri St.

Botanical Street with its narrow blind alleys and stepped yards is rather typical for a street going up a mountainous relief. At the turn of the street, in its middle part there is the only functioning mosque with a minaret under the white and blue cupola, which was built in 1864 on the spot where an old mosque used to be. Before the Soviet occupation there was another mosque in Tbilisi – a Shiite one, built by Shah Abbas close to Metekhi bridge, but it was destroyed in 1950. Since then Tbilisi Moslems have performed Mohammedan prayers in the Shiite mosque. This is an unprecedented case when in spite of historic opposition Shiites and Sunnites go to pray into the same mosque.