Tbilisi Classical Gymnasium

Tbilisi Classical Gymnasium is located opposite the St. George Kashveti Church

Rustaveli Avenue No.3


It was Tbilisi’s first Gymnasium, opened in 1830. With time, it acquired new titles: Tbilisi Gymnasium, The First Tbilisi Gymnasium and later, in the Soviet Period, 1st Secondary School of Tbilisi. In 2011, the school regained its old name: Classical Gymnasium.


The Classical Gymnasium was one of the most important educational institutions in the second half of the 19th century. It has a very rich and valuable library and a small theatre stage for performances. It even once had its own orchestra and the Gymnasium was the place where the first Meteorological Observatory was established.
Many prominent public servants, writers, poets and scientists have graduated the Classical Gymnasium, most notably: Grigol Orbeliani, Nikoloz Baratashvili, Ilia Chavchavadze, Ivane Javakhishvili, Aleksandre Sumbatashvili-luzhin and Vladimer Nemirovich-Danchenko.


The Gymnasium building was constructed in 1833. Later, architect Otto Simonson reconstructed the building to create its current appearance. It is a three-story building in the classicist style. It stands back from the main avenue and in front of it is a little square with a monument of Ilia chavchavadze and Akaki tsereteli.
In 1991-1992, the gymnasium building was severely damaged during Tbilisi military actions but was soon reconstructed to its current from.