Bambis Rigi and Chardin St.

In the feudal town along Sioni and Erekle streets there was Rastabazar. “Rastabazar” is a Persian word, which means ”a line of stalls and workshops arranged in one row”. At the beginning of the 20th century a trading row was built there named Mantashev Rows (Alexander Mantashev (1842 – 1911) was an oil magnate, industrialist, financier and philanthropist). The trading row consists of two houses in the style of “modern”. The first one borders on the Museum of the History of Tbilisi, and the second one divides this area into Chardin Street and Bambis Rigi (Cotton Row). Bambis Rigi is one of the pedestrians and historical street of ancient Tbilisi. To the right of Bambis Rigi there is Chardin Street. Chardin Street is very narrow and short, it is named after a French explorer Jan Chardin, who visited Tbilisi in 1863. That time the street was called “Dark Row”, because it was crowded with shops and workshops. Chardin St., Bambis rigi and Erekle ll St. Are a great way to wander around the local art galleries and souvenir shops with a chance to refuel in one of the area’s many cafes.