Mtatsminda

The symbol of Tbilisi is Mtatsminda which means the holy mountain. It got its name at the end of the 16 century, but the other its name “Mamadaviti” (the mount of David) given earlier in the 6th century. On halfway to the peak of the mountain Mtatsminda, on one of its slopes, is located the church of Saint David, who came to Georgia in the 6th century.He built a cave and a small church, rightly say a chapel on the “holy mountain”, and settled there. In the 16 century two monks from Athens David and Nikoloz Gabashvili built a church on a small rock of a holy mount in honor of Iberians Virigin. That church existed more than two hundred years. In 1809 it was restored after the order Georgian patriarch Antony ll. When the city used to be invaded, citizens were kept in that monastery. When people had problems they always went there and felt better. Furthermore Georgian kings found there comfort there while having minutes of grief. The church spring escaping from the cleft of the cliff is associated with one ancient belief, that young girls were gathered on Thursdays, in order to pray to Saint David as to the patron saint of family happiness and to conjecture secret desire. Then went around the church tree times, moistened a pebble in the spring water and applied it to the church wall. If the pebble was retained, it meant that the desire of a lucky girl could be carried out.